The Dutch Neurofederation Ph.D. Thesis Prize was created by the board of the Dutch Neurofederation, at the suggestion of the Friends of the Neurofederation, and is meant as an encouragement for new talented neuroscientists. The prize is presented annually during the Dutch Neuroscience meeting (DNM). The winner receives an amount of €1,000 to be spent as one sees fit and in addition he/she will receive travel costs and waived registration fees to present the thesis during a talk at the Dutch Neuroscience Meeting.
Nomination of candidates
The competition is open to all candidates with a doctorate degree from a Dutch university dating 2017 based on a neuroscience-‐related Ph.D. thesis. Candidates must be member of the Neurofederation, may nominate themselves or be proposed by their (co-‐)promotor. Requirements are a letter of recommendation by the candidate's (co-‐)promotor, 3 hard-‐ copies of the thesis, each presented with the letter of recommendation (see addresses below), as well as an electronic PDF version of the thesis.
The quality will be assessed along the following criteria:
• The significance of the research
• Advancement to the neurosciences
• Originality of the approach
• Scope and depth of the thesis
• The overall presentation of the thesis, including the writing and signs of scholarship.
Timeline and selection procedure
A selection committee will advise the board of the Friends of the Dutch Neurofederation, whom will decide the winner of the Ph.D. prize and revealed at the Dutch Neuroscience meeting. The selection procedure is confidential and the results are not open for debate.
Deadline for submission of the nominations is Friday 13 April 2018, 23.00 CET.
The winner will be notified in the beginning of May and will be asked to be present and prepare a lecture for the DNM meeting (7-‐8 June 2018).
Contacts and addresses to send the Ph.D. theses
- Prof. Dr Helmut Kessels: email@example.com, CNS, SILS (room C3.268), University of Amsterdam, Science Park 904, 1098XH Amsterdam
- Prof. Dr Maarten H.P. Kole: firstname.lastname@example.org, Netherlands Institute for Neuroscience (room R1-134), Meibergdreef 47, 1105BA Amsterdam
Webite Dutch Neurofederation: https://neurofederatie.nl/agenda.php
Website: Dutch Neuroscience Meeting: https://dnm18.azuleon.org//prizes.php