Molecular biologist | senior researcher
To start as a new member in the Tumor Biology research group to improve diagnsosis and treatment of head and neck cancer.
Your work environment
AMC and VUmc join forces in a merger and are managed as a whole from now on. At Amsterdam UMC, AMC and VUmc work together on excellent care for our patients, we educate promising talents to become a doctor or nurse and we improve the future healthcare thanks to high quality and (inter)nationally recognized scientific research. Together we can do that so much better than alone.
The Department of Otolaryngology – Head and Neck Surgery at location VUmc is specialised in the treatment of patients with head and neck cancer. Within the laboratory of Tumor Biology, which is part of the Department, approximately 15 researchers are investigating head and neck cancer at the molecular level, in close collaboration with the clinicians.
Head and neck cancer is preceded by precursor changes in the mucosal linings of the upper aerodigestive tract and is caused by exposure to carcinogens or infection with the human papillomavirus. Since the publication of the molecular landscape of head and neck cancer in 2015, a plethora of molecular information has become available, and the current challenge in the research field is to understand, translate and apply these insights in order to improve diagnosis and treatment of patients with head and neck cancer. Current lines of research at the Tumor Biology research group are oncogenesis and genomics, molecular diagnosis and prognostic modeling of cancer and precancer, tumor-stroma interaction, as well as development and evaluation of novel treatments. The current staff consists of a molecular biologist and immunologist, and we are searching for a new collegue within the research group to support the running studies and initiate novel research lines. Particularly a molecular biologist with expertise in the analysis of large scale genomics and sequencing data would be welcomed. At start of employment a number of milestones will be agreed upon.
We seek candidates for a position in head and neck cancer genomics. You have the capacity and team spirit to closely collaborate with all researchers and medical specialists within our department as well as clinicians, informaticians and bio-statisticians across the VUmc Cancer Center Amsterdam or its alliance partner AMC. As senior PostDoc researcher your most important tasks and responsibilities are:
- Support the ongoing research lines
- Initiate new research lines
- Apply for grants and supervise junior researchers, graduate students and research technicians
- Collaborate within Cancer Center Amsterdam
- Participate as teacher in training courses
We are looking for a PostDoc researcher who:
- has a background in molecular biology and has interest in oncology
- has experience in computational biology and working with large datesets
- has a PhD title or will be awarded a PhD title at short notice
- University Teaching Qualification (UTQ) registration (in Dutch, BKO, Basis Kwalificatie Onderwijs) or willingness to achieve this.
- has experience with scripting languages (Python, Perl) and statistical packages (R, MatLab)
- has interest in translational (cancer) research
- is communicative, highly motivated as well as motivating
- has excellent and proven writing skills
Expertise in leading a (small) research group is an advantage.
Salary Scale 10: 2659 tot 4216 euro gross when employed full-time (depending on qualifications and experience).
Don’t hesitate to call or email us! If you’re interested about this position, you can contact prof. dr. R.H. Brakenhoff, chair of the Tumor Biology laboratory, via telephone number 020-4440897. If you need more information about the application procedure, contact Faisca Stuiver, corporate recruiter at 020-4445635. You can apply till 22 August 2018 by using the apply button.
Acquisition based on this vacancy is not appreciated.